On March 02, 2012 an article on “18 Budaka Pupils eat rat poison mistaking it for glucose” was published in New Vision local news paper here in Uganda.
For the purpose of this blog post, I have only tried to capture parts of sections to help in my personal analysis in reference to the subject as follows below:
Eighteen pupils of Namirembe Boarding primary school in the eastern district of Budaka were admitted to Budaka health center after eating rat poison mistaking it for glucose.
According to the deputy head teacher, Robert Mukasa, a P2 pupil Cryspus Looki on Tuesday carried the rat poison from his grandmother’s home.
“This boy stays with his grandmother who had bought powdered poison to kill the rats in the house but placed it within reach of children. In the morning the boy placed the box of poison in his bag and went to school while the grandmother was still asleep,” Mukasa said.
“During break time the boy got out his box and started licking it and his classmates begged him for some and he shared it with 17 of his classmates,” he said.
The number would have been bigger than that but what saved others was one boy who saw the box had a label with pictures of rats and informed the teachers that his friends had eaten poison,” Mukasa said.
He said that shock gripped the school and teachers called an assembly to identify those who had eaten the rat poison and took them to the school clinic where they were given anti-poison charcoal tablets as first aid.
Namirembe boarding primary school clinic nurse, Janet Hope Higenyi confirmed that all the 18 children ate poison and she gave them Ant Poison charcoal tablets before referring them to Budaka health Centre.
Right, from the above sections, we learn a number of things as listed below:
- The grandmother had all the good information about the rats poison she had bought but never shared the same to her grandson.
- The rats in the house don’t have any information about the poison the grandmother had bought so the grand mother had all the chances to utilize this concept to get advantage of them.
- The grandson like the rats had no right information about what the grandmother had bought so he instead mistaken it for another good product and never bothered to analyze carefully all the information about the product.
- The 17 pupils at school, perceived information about the product their friend had carried with him. I suspect, some used their eyes to see and others used their ears to learn of the product. The 17 pupils were equally like Cryspus (the grandson) who only used their eyes and ears and just a very small fraction of their brain and never to carryout a critical analysis.
- The anonymous BOY who saw the box with pictures of rats really saved so many. This boy, I suspect he used his ears, eyes and brain to carefully analyze the information about the product before deciding to consume it. His analysis was, this might be poison because of the rat pictures and surely it was poison.
Right, in conclusion, we need to:
- Carefully analyze the information we receive whether it is the correct information.
- We need to involve others to help us in analyzing the information we receive because different people have different expertise.
- We need to report the information which is not useful or which might lead us to mistakes or danger.
- We need to share information very fast as it might help to save our lives.
- Action need to be taken faster in case of any news about bad information being disseminated and those involved need to be interrogated there and then to know all the details about the source and level of effect.